Posts Tagged ‘words’
For those of you who are wondering, I posted my first draft copy, of my first chapter, of my first novel and for the first time. That is a lot of firsts. http://allworldissues.com/2012/12/05/rubys-notes-chapter-1-draft-thoughts/
I asked people for constructive criticism (yes good and bad) one thing you need to realize if you want to publish your work – you need to seek the criticism, and face the music – otherwise how are you going to improve and make it better?
Last night I spent a bit of time editing it (old school paper and pen style)
here is some of the edited copy – And for those who are wondering ALL my work IS in fact Copyrighted. So don’t be thieving
Being a school teacher wasn’t all it had cracked up to be. Sure there were a few perks, seeing the smiles on those children’s faces every time I entered the room, just as easily they smiled when it was time to pack their bags and go home, teaching them all about how the world works… How much they actually listen to is a different story. My name is Ruby, Ruby Kensington but you can call me Miss K.
I’m not married, I don’t even have a boyfriend, I don’t have children of my own and I don’t have any friends. No I am not a weirdo or maybe I am. You can decide that for yourself. I’m going to tell you a story about how I ended up in the position I am in.
June 28th 8:40pm. 1993
It was the 90’s and I was fresh out of law school, already I had already received my first job offer. I was desperate, so I went for it not knowing quite what I was getting myself into. We had arranged to meet at 9am the next day to discuss what the job involves, the only problem was that I did not know who I was meeting or why. I had received the phone call out of the blue, and the person I had spoken to did not go into any detail about the job, they just gave me a time and the address of where I would be meeting my ‘potential employer.’ When you are a lawyer, you don’t think too much about those types of phone calls – although I would have preferred to pick the location myself.
That night I had a group date with my best friends Chloe and Sandra.
They had been my friends since we were in law school. Chloe had long blond hair with colors running through it, pinks, purples, blues and oranges. She was short, maybe 5’2 and she was very socially awkward. When Chloe was younger she really wanted to be a hairdresser, but her mum forced her into attending law school. Chloe didn’t want to upset her mother, so, she used her talents with hair as a side business as a way to make some extra cash. Now Sandra on the other hand was the complete opposite. Sandra was a girl of status in the law industry – as her dad was a lawyer. She was tall with luscious tanned legs that go for miles. Sandra had dark hair and dark eyes, with a European look to her plus she was really skinny and everything about her screamed sexy. Sandra always had all the guys pining over her like little puppies, even though she turned them all down.
As the night progressed I couldn’t shake the feeling that I was being watched. You know the type of feeling you get when you think there is someone who just won’t stop staring at you? The hairs on the back of your neck stand up and cold shivers run down your spine, as if someone had ‘just walked over your grave’ as they say. That’s the feeling I had now, so I decided to call it a night with my friends and walk home.
As I was walking I started to feel dizzy, queasy even… did I really drink that much? A few minutes passed by and I couldn’t bring myself to walk any further. I hailed the first cab I saw and jumped in. My house was about a 10 minute walk away from our favorite hangout but I just couldn’t bear to walk any longer. The taxi drive made me feel worse. I wasn’t even sure if I was even in a taxi anymore and I just passed out.
It has recently come to my attention that lately I have dished out a few mediocre posts but nothing spectacularly amazing like I used to. Now I am not sure if it because I becoming ever so slightly angrier each day with being pregnant or because I am losing my mojo for good this time.
Let’s re-cap a bit on the past events of last month. The month that was October – Ok well… Nothing overly spectacular happened.
I sat at home nearly every day and grew some more baby… ate a few (ok 6) custard tarts, taught my son some new tricks, watched him learn some on his own (climbing the couch and leaping off it) listened to some music and saw a few friends.
Well I guess something did happen that was interesting – the unintentional leading on a guy then realising it then cutting off contact with him – Remember back to this post http://allworldissues.com/2012/10/22/hazelnut-lates-and-baby-chinos/
Where I talk about my friend who I hadn’t seen in 5 years and he had a daughter? Yeah well I decided to let our children hang out and boy… I think that was a bad idea. Not because there is something really wrong with the guy… But because I had no intention or interest in forming a relationship with this guy other than our kids hanging out. So it started off with him texting me a bit too much – ok let’s try every single day. I thought “well I guess he just wants to get to know me because why wouldn’t you want to be able to semi-trust someone who will be near your children” so I took it as a harmless thing. I made it very clear to him by talking about my recent relationship that I was, not only not interested in forming a relationship with anyone but I was also not interested in him, and then I met his children… Now I must say I am not really one to judge other people parenting unless I find something extremely wrong with it in my mind. I can tell you one thing was for sure… I did not like his parenting at all… or the fact that he lived at him mothers place in a tiny house and his mother and step father are hoarders… Now it’s not so bad when you are a hoarder and you keep everything nice and neat, but if you don’t have a lounge room anymore because it is being overrun by kids clothes, toys, shoes, baby gates, cot pieces, little lounge sweet, bits to toys you don’t have etc… It gets a bit much… especially if every room is like that including the bathroom with toiletries, the kitchen with TV’s and fridges and magnets.
Now that wasn’t the only thing, while our kids were playing (my son is 18 months old and his daughters were 5 and 20 months old) I would just sit there, with nothing to say at all, not a single thing, and when he did speak it was more so like ‘blah blah blah’ to me because nothing he talked about interested me NOTHING!
And then I realised that I had accidentally lead on this guy without intentionally doing so… and without trying… just me letting our kids hang out and he got the wrong idea. Maybe he missed the ‘not available’ sign slapped all over my text msg’s or completely ignored me when I said ‘I am not looking to get into a relationship with anyone.’
So I couldn’t stand the no conversation, he thought he was going to score with me, I did not agree with the way he parented his children (I haven’t gone into this but let’s just say his youngest had a little children’s fruit bar filled with crap for dinner instead of a proper meal) and I couldn’t stand his parents, his parents’ house, being in the house made me feel sick… So what is the point in being friends with someone I cannot stand one bit?
So I decided to take him off my Facebook and not contact him again – this is when it got freaky… He noticed within the hour that I removed him off Facebook and sent me a text msg and asked me about it…
Who notices when you remove them off Facebook and asks within the hour of someone doing it? honestly… someone who is stalking your Facebook profile.. That’s who, because Facebook does not notify you when someone deletes. Thus proving – that he had the wrong idea.
Basically I am glad I ended that friendship within the first week or so of it forming and now I remember why I had not seen or spoken to or tried to speak to this person in 5 years.
Is it time to get back to reality? I think so!
I would like to also take the time to mention I noticed this today
I wanted to say WOW! Just wow… seriously? That is AMAZING!!! I am really proud of that! And it could never have been achieved without ANY of you. So big thankyou to all my amazing readers and followers, you mean a lot to me – And so much for thinking I was just producing some mediocre stuff.
Opps… I seem to have gotten myself ‘Tagged’ By http://normancooper.wordpress.com/ so I guess this will make for a very interesting post today. Here are the rules.
- Each person tagged must post 11 things about themselves.
2. They must also answer the 11 questions the ‘tagger’ has set for them.
3. They must create 11 more questions to ask bloggers they have decided to tag.
4. They must then choose 11 bloggers with less than 200 followers and tag them in their post.
5. These lucky bloggers must then be told.
6. There are no tag backs.
So I guess I will start with the 11 things about myself.
1) I am a mum (so I have mentioned in nearly every one of my posts)
2) I love coffee
3) In 4 years I plan on going to New York with my Mum and my Aunt Michelle (she isn’t my real Aunt but I think of her as one)
4) I love to draw, and I am not too bad at it too
5) I was chosen for this even though I have over 400 followers
6) I suffer from depression; have done for 5+ years now.
7) Oh lucky number 7 you will be the death of me
8) I love to bake, I never really find the time to stand in the kitchen and bake these days… I feel more like a whale most days
9) I am sort of a dork
10) Not many people like me… Maybe because I am too up front about things and people nearly always can tell when I either don’t like them or don’t like something that they have done… But I will always be nice to them.
11) I always give people more chances than they deserve and never hold a grudge.
Questions http://normancooper.wordpress.com want me to answer.
- 2. 1) If you could choose to live anywhere in the world, and work was guaranteed, where would it be? Right where I am in sunny Adelaide is fine with me
- 3. 2) What is you fondest childhood memory? All my childhood memories are not present with me at the moment and thinking of one right now would just make my head ache worse.
- 4. 3) Does it bother you when people “dog-ear” the corners of their book pages? What about writing and highlighting in a book? No, because sometimes if you are borrowing the book from a library you can see that they didn’t get very far into it. And also no for the writing and highlighting, sometimes people highlight some pretty neat point and write some decent notes.
- 5. 4) Kindle/Nook or traditionalist? All three I would say, because I don’t have a huge book case so a virtual one can always be handy J
- 6. 5) If national elections had celebrity judges and a telephone hotline, would people be more apt to get involved in government? In Australia you have to vote otherwise you will get fine. So we have no choice… I think it works better that way because then it is a whole country deciding… not the minority that actually care. Always get involved people! Otherwise you might regret it.
- 7. 6) What’s your favourite movie/TV show? Breaking bad is pretty ok at the moment, but really my favourites are Glee, The Doctors, Dr Oz, Dr Phil and well that’s pretty much all because I don’t really watch TV.
- 8. 7) What were you doing on August 21, 1987? Not even fertilized yet.
- 9. 8) Dude, do you have the answers to yesterday’s Algebra homework? Maybe, what’s in it for me?
- 10. 9) Glass half-full or half-empty? It is half full
10) What’s your least favourite colour? Sludge green
- 11. 11) If you were born on February 29, when would you celebrate your birthday? I would have a 2 day birthday bash on other years and just one day for the leap year
Here are the questions I would like my Nominees to answer
1) Have you ever copied anyone just because you thought you could do it better?
2) Have you ever stolen an item of clothing from someone close to you, and then worn it around them and pretended it has always been yours?
3) What are your favourite animals?
4) Do you like children?
5) What were you doing in the year 1993?
6) What is your favourite take-away?
7) Are you a vegan or vegitarian?
8) Do you enjoy red wine or white wine better?
10) Do you sometimes wish you were a little kid again?
11) What is your least favourite thing to do?
And now for my nominees
Thankyou everyone and Happy blogging.
“Onward, to chapter 3″ I shout as I lead my group towards victory against the infamous town of chapter 3. My trusted friends Paper and Pen join me on my quest to the town of ‘End Story.’
Just a small update for everyone. While my partner eats his eggs, and my son plays with his toys, I sit here on my little Samsung Galaxy Tab thinking about chapter 3 of the Novel I am writing. So far chapter 1 was my hardest… As it took me about 6-8 months to actually get stuck into it and write, now I feel I might reach the end, sometimes that scares me… Sometimes when I think about it, I dont want to think of an ending… Not at all.
That is where I think about a book 2, maybe… If once I am done, get it proofread, then go visit an editor and try my luck with a million different publishers, and maybe if I am lucky and I get published. Then I might try for a second book, but I doubt if I even get my first one published, that I will be anything other than a one book wonder… If that at all.
Here is a plant from my backyard.
Do you have that friend, or know that person, who claims they do not read? They have a phone, they have a facebook, they have a room full of magazines, they have their school books and they have their video games on their computer. So tell me again how they don’t read? I am sorry to those who have used this, but it really gets on my nerves when I hear ‘I don’t read’. Of course you read… Did you know that you automatically read words that are placed in front of you? You will notice this most when you are in a car or on the bus, you will find yourself reading every sign you lay your eyes on, soaking in every letter, processing every thought about that particular sign.
Written word is by far the most powerful way of pushing information into someone, whether they realize it or not as a person who ‘does not read’ they sure do read a lot.
I have been a little absent lately, absent of here and somewhat of mind. I thought I would just give you a run down of the recent events. I have completed chapter 1 and almost chapter 2 of my novel, I have outlined (so I don’t forget) the key points for chapter 3 and 4 maybe 5. I just had my phone reconnected and now it is off to repairs because it fell out of my pocket and the screen shattered ($300 to fix.) I have pretty much been down in the dumps with bad luck for 5 years now 2 to go and my 7 years will be over, I am just wondering when did I break a mirror? around about 5 years ago… maybe there is some truth to this superstition stuff.
Now onto my writing. So I am considering tapping into my Uni’s resources to change to a different Major. So even though I am currently doing business management as I think about it I will never have enough money to start my own business unless I publish my novel and strike it big, but this is where the self-doubt comes back again and now even more than before I am paranoid. Not paranoid about my writing so much, but paranoid about my safety and well-being…
Going back to this post http://allworldissues.com/2012/07/17/life-was-never-meant-to-be-easy/ I wrote about a falling out I had with a friend. Upon visiting the hospital for my appointment to book my c-section in, my partner and I bumped into one of the girls I wasnt friends with anymore… She and her partner literally leaped at the opportunity to share the fact that they had pretty much been stalking my partner and I and knew EVERYTHING we have done and everything that had happened to us in the past 9-10 months… stuff that we had not shared with people and stuff that just didn’t happen at all… Not to mention they proceeded to make my partner feel horrible and embarrassed in the middle of the hospital and use foul and inappropriate language in front of young children AND their parents.
So now I am stuck. I feel I cannot write on here anymore and I feel I cannot even have a sit down with a friend for a cup of coffee purely because I do not know who has been telling these people everything about my life and why they are so obsessed with me and making my life miserable.
Yes I know I am mentioning it on here, but that is because I have a readership to please and despite my paranoia I must type on and well ‘ignore the haters’ as they say. I will continue to write!
So there is my reason for being away for a while, now onto some happier things. My book, oh wow is this a happy subject, I am so proud to say that I have been writing and writing and since I am determined to get my book published it has given me the motivation to keep writing. But one thing I have realised is I have forgotten a lot of skills that could be considered ‘essential’ to writing a book and will now need to seek further education, which I am excited about as there are some paths I can take for this, and there are a few academy’s where I live that specialise in the subjects I that I can attend or do online. That is exciting!
With saying all that I hope you all have a wonderful day or night where ever you reside and farewell until next time